1. What degree and year did you complete while a student at SKHS?
Honours degree in Kinesiology, graduated in 2011.
2. What is your current employer and position title?
Dr. Laura von Hagen, ND. Naturopathic Doctor at Cyndi Gilbert’s clinic in Toronto.
3. What else have you been doing professionally since you left SKHS?
I’ve been busy! I completed my Master’s in Clinical Anatomy at Western, and lived in Africa for three months where I collected data for my thesis entitled Lifestyle Interventions to Improve Gestational Outcomes. I then did my Doctor of Naturopathy at CCNM where I was involved in student council, worked for a supplement company and received the Humanitarian Award at convocation. I have a special focus in Women’s Health, Fertility and Pregnancy. I also got married last month to my partner of 9 years who I met at Queen’s University 🙂
4. What is your favourite memory of being a student at SKHS and Queen’s?
This is a tough one, either being a frosh week leader or working on my fourth year thesis with Dr. Amy Latimer, she’s amazing!
5. What is the most important thing you learned while a student at SKHS and Queen’s that has helped you get where you are today?
I learned that being healthy starts with the foundations. This means access to health care and quality food where you live, taking time for exercise and sleep, and promoting healthy living and behaviour change in others.
6. What would you say to a prospective student about studying in SKHS and Queen’s?
I wish I could go back and do it all over again. Now having done two additional degrees, I realize how lucky I was to get such a quality undergraduate degree. My training definitely prepared me well, and I miss those days in the classroom. If you ever need a guest lecturer or guest speaker, please do not hesitate to reach out!
Interested in talking to someone about applying, attending an upcoming event or have any other general inquiries? Get in touch.
Are you inspired by health, fitness, and socio-cultural and global health promotion issues? Kinesiology and Health Studies might just be for you.