Degree Requirements

The Master’s program in the School generally requires 2 years (6 terms) of full-time study to complete.   Funding packages are available to students during this time through a combination of the potential funding sources listed below:

Funding Sources
  • external funding awards like TriCouncil CGSM Master’s Funding Awards (CIHR/NSERC/SSHRC)
  • Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS)
  • other internal funding awards
  • Queen’s Graduate Award allocation
  • Teaching Assistantships are available during the first 2 years of study, and may be available beyond two years in order to  meet undergraduate teaching requirements
  • Research Assistantships (RAs) are also offered by faculty members depending on their own research program requirements.  Check with your supervisor to determine if they have an RA opportunity for you.
  • Master’s students do not typically serve as Teaching Fellows

Below is the typical time line for degrees in the School:

Term 1: Coursework

Term 2: Coursework

Term 3: Write proposal; proposal meeting and oral defense with Thesis Advisory Committee; Thesis research

Term 4: Thesis research and writing

Term 5 and 6: Complete thesis and thesis oral defense

At the end of each of the Fall and Winter Terms you and your Supervisor will be asked to report on your progress to date using the SKHS Master’s Student Progress Report Form.

A record of your progress is kept in your SKHS graduate student file. Regulations concerning the time limits established by SGS for completing degrees, and the special circumstances in which these time limits may be altered, are set out in the SGS Calendar.

Full Time Study

All graduate students begin their study in an on-campus, full-time capacity. The School does not offer any part-time programs. Master’s students typically study for two years in an on-campus, full-time capacity.  It is possible to switch to part-time status in the 3rd year of study.

Change of Status to Part-Time Study

Students may request a change of status to part-time study to commence during their third year of study if they have been unable to complete their studies during the customary two-year period.   There are criteria that must be met to be granted this status. You must make application 30 days in advance of the requested change i.e. apply in August to begin part-time in September.As a part-time student your tuition fees will be reduced to half. As an off-campus student you will no longer be required to pay for a variety of other on-campus status fees.

How to Apply for Part-Time Status for 3rd Year
  • Prepare a Plan of Study with hard dates, including a proposed oral defense date, in consultation with your supervisor.  This document may be in the form of an email.
  • Obtain signed permission from your supervisor on the Plan of Study.
  • Prepare the Part Time On or Off Campus Form, sign it and have your supervisor sign it.
  • Arrange to visit with the SKHS Graduate Assistant ( /  x 75214) to prepare and sign the Academic Change Form, obtain the SKHS Director’s approval, and submit the package to SGS for consideration.

You will receive notification from SGS via email in approximately 15 days from the date of submission.